Spicy Chipotle Lasagna
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb hot Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 pint sliced fresh mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 (15 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed
9 lasagna noodles
2 (8 oz) balls of fresh mozzarella, sliced
2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cup grated Asiago cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1.Cook and stir the ground beef and Italian sausage in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Drain any excess grease, then stir in the onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the chipotle chile, tomato paste, and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the basil and oregano; simmer 5 minutes more then remove from the heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, stir together the cream cheese and chopped spinach until blended. Leave the spinach soggy, the water will help thin out the cream cheese to a sour cream-like consistency.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil, and lightly grease. Place 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan, and spread with 1/3 of the spinach mixture. Spread 1/3 of the chipotle meat sauce over this, then layer with 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the zucchini. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Asiago cheese and 1/3 of the Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers two more times, ending with cheeses on top.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking until the top is bubbly and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.