Veal Osso Buco
Yield: 4 Servings
4-8 veal shank crosscuts, 1 ½ – 2 inches thick (about 4 lbs. Total) Ask our MaineSource butchers to custom-cut any peice of meat, free of charge.
To Tatse: Salt
To Tatse: Black pepper
As needed: Flour, All-purpose
2 Tlb. Olive oil
1 lb. Onion, yellow, medium dice
1 Carrot, medium dice
1 Leek, white and green parts, sliced
2 Garlic clove, minced
3 Tlb. Tomato paste
¾ c. Dry white wine
1 ¾ c. Beef broth
1 tsp. Fresh thyme, minced
½ tsp. Fresh Rosemary, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Trim the veal shanks of excess fat and season with salt and pepper. Dredge them in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or other flameproof casserole dish over medium high heat. Sear the veal until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Remove the veal to a pan and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 Tlb. Of the fat from the Dutch oven. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, approximately 5-6 minutes. Add the carrot and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the carrot starts to brown, approximately 3 minutes. Add the leek and garlic and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until aromatic, approximately 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the tomato paste darkens, approximately 1 minute.
- Add the wine to the pan, stirring to incorporate the tomato paste. Simmer until the wine is reduced by half, approximately 4 minutes. Return the veal to the Dutch oven with any juices released by the veal. Add enough broth to cover the veal by two thirds.
- Bring to a gentle simmer over medium to low heat. Cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Braise the veal shanks for 2 hours, turning the meat occasionally. Add the thyme and rosemary and braise partially covered, until fork-tender, approximately 1 hour more.
- Transfer the veal shanks to a warmed platter and moisten with some of the cooking liquid. Cover and keep warm while completing the sauce.
- Place the Dutch oven over high heat and simmer the cooking liquid until it has a good flavor and sauce like consistency, approximately 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper
- Spoon the sauce over the Osso Buco and serve immediately.